The Surf Screen is excited to announce that, the hit film Searching for Michael Peterson (accompanied by it’s director Jolyon Hoff) will be touring across the UK throughout August 2009.
This film consistently sold out all Australian dates and has received amazing reviews from key surf and movie industry players.
“Brought a tear to my eye” – Alby Falzon, Director: Morning of the Earth
“ At last! A surf movie that gets in your face and personal! – Bob Mctavish, Legendary Australian Surfer/Shaper.
Searching for Michael Peterson by Jolyon Hoff, is a documentary telling the moving story of one of Australia’s greatest surfers whose career was cut short by mental illness.
For five glorious years “MP” led the Coolangatta Kids and won virtually every event he contested, including three Bells Beach Pros back to back. His brilliant, aggressive surfing provided the centrepiece for Albert Falzon’s Morning of the Earth in 1972, and MP never looked back. His final tour victory, at the inaugural Stubbies Pro at Burleigh Heads in 1977, is regarded as the high point of the early professional era. Sadly, a year later triumph turned to tragedy and Michael’s demons claimed him.
In 1983 he was locked up after a 15-car police chase across Queensland and finally diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. He never surfed again.
Screening dates for Searching for Michael Peterson include:
* Tuesday 4th August: Roxy Bar and Screen (SE1), Bourough High Street, London. Doors open 7pm, screening at 8pm, £3 on the door.
* Wednesday 5th August: The Sallis Benney Theatre, Grand Parade, Brighton. Doors open 7:30pm, screening at 8pm, £5 on the door or in advance through Brighton Dome Box office: 01273 709 709
* Friday 7th August: The Lighthouse, Poole, Dorset, call: 0844 406 8666 for details
* Saturday 8th August: Solva memorial Hall, Solva, Nr St Davids, Wales. Screening at 8pm, £5 on the door
* Sunday 9th August: The Cube Cinema, 4 Princess Row, Bristol, Somerset. Screening at 8pm, £5 on the door
* Tuesday 11th August: Bude Community Cinema, The Parkhouse Centre, Bude, screening at 8pm, £5 on the door
* Other screenings in Cornwall to be announced: see www.thesurfscreen for details and updates.